Since the inception of the below listed Occupational Health & Safety (OHS) Regulation, it’s become common practice to ensure that sites are free of potentially hazardous materials prior to the demolition of a building or structure.
JMB Environmental Ltd has been providing professional and cost-effective hazardous materials surveys and reports since 1981. A typical hazardous materials survey will focus on the following materials:
- Other Site Specific Materials
Part 20.112 of the OHS Regulation
Before work begins on the demolition or salvage of machinery, equipment, buildings or structures, the employer or owner must:
- ensure that a qualified person inspects the site to identify any asbestos-containing materials, lead, or other heavy metal or toxic, flammable or explosive materials that may be handled, disturbed or removed,
- have the inspection results available at the worksite, including any drawings, plans or specifications, as appropriate, to show the locations of any hazardous substances,
- ensure that any hazardous materials found are safely contained or removed, and
- if hazardous materials are discovered during demolition work that were not identified in the inspection required by paragraph (a), ensure that all work ceases until such materials are contained or removed.